[e2e] Congestion control as a hot topic in IETF

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Mar 4 22:01:41 PST 2013

Am 04.03.2013 18:45, schrieb Bob Braden:

> Congestion control seems a bit like riding a unicycle -- even after
> you learn how to do it,
> you have to pay attention every moment or you are in danger of falling
> off.
>
> Bob Braden

It's perhaps a bit out of the scope of your thread. However: When
congestion control is one of the fundamental mechanisms in the internet,
we should employ mechanisms which are a bit more robust than riding a
unicycle. And from what I've read here in the list and quite some
private discussions, particularly on the buffer bloat issue, I'm not
fully convinced that we really learned how to do it. At the moment,
referring to a picture, we are mounting the unicycle, falling down,
looking around where the unicycle is, mounting the unicycle again,
falling down.

In private discussions, I'm pointed to clean slate approaches, e.g.
RINA, and actually, from what I see and what I'm told, in all of these
discussions I see a mixture of science with personal interests,
politics, bitterness and an astonishing lack of mutual respect.

Sometimes I get the impression: The louder people speak, the less they
have to say.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937