[e2e] Congestion control as a hot topic in IETF

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Mar 7 13:58:34 PST 2013

Am 06.03.2013 08:20, schrieb Jon Crowcroft:
> congestion control does work on some single links if the link layer
> supports a congestion feedback mechanism - switched ethernet (for
> example) has a feedback mechanism and some people have used this in
> data center modifications and used it to push the later 2 feedback
> up (as well as back) to IP/TCP - ie trigger ECN from the layer 2

Assumed that ECN is not lost.

> this could easily also be done with contention information in
> conventional and wireless ethernet on a single link
> and could be triggerd from a cellular base station too if
> you like
>
> but it isn't
>
> but it could be...

Frankly spoken, I don't see the need for congestion control in mobile
links and WiFi. In these networks, we hardly have a full packet on the
link, so sliding window per se is nonsense in these technologies. A
simple use of stop'n wait would solve the problem.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau