[e2e] Congestion control as a hot topic in IETF

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Mar 7 14:03:50 PST 2013

Am 06.03.2013 18:06, schrieb Bob Braden:
> Jon,
>
> It appears that we missed this one in the Host Requirements RFC
> (RFC1122).  When we update RF1122
> ;-)) we can include this in the link/Internet layer interface (section
> 2.4). It is also related to the "advice"
> suggested for dead gateway detection ( see Discussion in Section 3.3.1.4)
>
> Bob

This is a fundamental change to RFC 791. IIRC, such an interface was
mentioned in Cerfs catenet-paper.

In RFC 791, there is no flow control on links, neither congestion
control, link overload is "signaled" implicitly by packet loss.
(Reliable by nature: loss cannot get lost.)

I'm not quite sure whether link layer flow control may lead to deadlock
situations because circular waiting scenarios can be possible.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau