[e2e] Historical question: Link layer flow control / silent discard

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed May 29 09:04:41 PDT 2013

OSI divided the Network Layer into 3 sub-layers (not all of which
were present for all networks):  3a Subnet Access, 3b Subnet
Dependent, and 3c Subnet Independent.  (see the Internal Organization
of the Network Layer, ISO 8648).

X.25 was (according to its title) 3a  Subnet Access.  The PTTs had
the "foresight" ;-) to call it a Data-Terminating-Equipment (DTE) to
Data Communicating Equipment (DCE) interface.  (Don't you love the
nomenclature!)  X.25 was just at the boundary of the network.  In
other words, Host to Network protocol, the equivalent of BBN1822! ;-)
So OSI took them at their word.  ;-) If the network had X.25, then it
was at 3a.

Whether a PTT used X.25 internal to its network was its business and
not within the purview of CCITT.  I believe most X.25 networks at the
time heavily modified it beyond what the Recommendation said.
(CCITT's habit of defining its recommendations as the interfaces
between boxes is why I refer to this as the beads-on-a-string model!
boxes strung together with a wire!)

With X.25, LAPB (also known as HDLC) was the Data Link Layer.

CLNP was 3c, Subnet Independent.

One can think of 3a/3b as a traditional network layer for networks
that had that; and 3c/Transport as the Internet Layer.    3c
addresses were global, while addresses in 3a/3b were only unambiguous
within the network.  Think of 3a/3b as points of attachment
addresses, and 3c as node addresses.  (see the Saltzer paper RFC 1498
for background on this)

Take care,
John