[e2e] Is the end to end paradigm appropriate for congestion control?

Emmanuel Lochin emmanuel.lochin at isae.fr
Wed Nov 13 04:58:19 PST 2013

On 13/11/2013 12:18, Detlef Bosau wrote:
> Nevertheless, depending on the MAC scheme, in some cases no more than
> one packet may reside on the line. (On ring systems, of course, there
> may be several tokens/frames in flight.)
>
> However. As long as a receiver cannot accept the data, putting it on the
> line does not make any sense. (As in TCP: Flow control dominates
> congestion control.) More drastically spoken: The line capacity is of
> secondary interest, the primary interest is the next hop's capacity.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to - at least experimental - consider a
> concatenated hop by hop flow control system?
>
> What would be the major problems in such a design?

Hi Detlef,

Such idea has already been proposed at the IETF'73 see
http://www.brynosaurus.com/pub/net/logjam-slides-ietf73.pdf
and I found the meeting minutes here:
*http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/73/minutes/tsvarea.txt*
It seems that this might introduce problem for secure communications in
particular when using IPSec.

Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Lochin