[e2e] Question the other way round:

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sun Nov 17 12:22:17 PST 2013

Am 17.11.2013 20:13, schrieb Sergey Gorinsky:
>   Dear Detlef,
>
>> The good ol' "Metro Pricing" :-)
>   No. PMP (Paris Metro Pricing) by A. Odlyzko charges different prices for
> the same service. The RD design charges the same price for different
> services.

Oh my goodness! "The same service!" Don't ever tell this to the first
class passengers ;-)

>> How does your computer share computing time ...
>> It does time slicing...
>> A process scheduler knows about available resources.
>   In networks, the resources of bottlenecks are shared by remote senders.

That's a matter of perspective. They are shared by flows / remote
senders / packets respectively.  You could even choose "packets with the
same TOS" or "packets belonging to the same QoS class".

In VJCC, you don't even ask that sophisticated questions, in VJCC, the
resources of bottlenecks is shared among those packets which aren't
dropped.
> Besides, the bottlenecks migrate as the distributed load changes.

Right your are - however: VJCC (and flavours based upon this) don't ask
for a bottleneck. VJCC shares a "capacity".

>  Not
> knowing which resources to slice makes it difficult to do the slicing.

There is even no need for slicing. In operating systems, you have to
suspend tasks, take up tasks etc. In packet switched networks you have
packets and queues. And the decision to take is to choose a queue which
gets service. No more no less.

> Whereas global scheduling of Internet transmission resources is an appealing
> idea advocated by a number of (excellent) researchers over a number of
> years, there has not been much concrete progress in this direction.

Hm. Perhaps the problem is that a scheduler has only a very limited view
of "the Internet"?

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937