[e2e] Question the other way round:

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 19 10:10:11 PST 2013

On 11/19/2013 9:07 AM, Joe Touch wrote:

> On 11/15/2013 1:42 PM, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>> Why do we need congestion at all?
>
> No, but only if you use circuits. But then you've pushed the
> "congestion" overload situation to the circuit setup time, and not all
> circuits will succeed.
>
> Or you could be omniscient ;-)
>
> Otherwise, you need to deal with the fact that sometimes two packets
> want to go to the same output port and can't, and you didn't find that
> out until they collided.

Given the complete generality of the question that was asked, is there
something fundamentally deficient in the answer in:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congestion_control#Congestion_control

?

In particular, I think it's opening sentence is quite reasonable.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking