[e2e] Fwd: Re: Question the other way round:

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu Nov 21 09:56:33 PST 2013

Forwarded for David Reed.

Joe (list admin)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [e2e] Question the other way round:
Date: 	Thu, 21 Nov 2013 11:21:40 -0500 (EST)
From: 	dpreed at reed.com
To: 	Jon Crowcroft <Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk>
CC: 	Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu>, jon.crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk, Ted Faber
<faber at isi.edu>, end2end-interest at postel.org

(please forward, Joe, if this is OK)

We don't actually cause congestion to discover the rate, Jon.
   Typically, we try to build networks that have adequate capacity
(factors of 10 or 100 are needed for things like the "Mother's Day"
effect, or 9/11-scale community need to spread and filter news quickly.)

We encounter congestion rarely - and we fix it by building in "factors
of safety" in every portion of an underlying network.

Only Ph.D. theses spend an enormous amount of effort on the totally
congested "corner cases".  It's like a little puzzle that is easy to
state, easy to solve, and makes the solver work hard.  It's kind of like
a "rite of passage", so that is good, I guess.

But if you are building a datacenter (AWS) or an access network or a
transport network, you build for the worst case, and expect it to happen
rarely.  The systems that depend on the network to actually work for
people's needs never want a congested network, and don't actually want
the network to operate at its local minimum cost/bit/sec.  They want the
network to never be in the way, and the cost they really care about is
the cost of getting congested for the wrong reasons.