[e2e] Answer to Dave Reed Re: Fwd: Re: Question the other way round:

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Nov 22 07:08:14 PST 2013

> Forwarded for David Reed.
>

> (please forward, Joe, if this is OK)
>
> We don't actually cause congestion to discover the rate, Jon.

I'm sorry David - it is exactly what happens.

(IIRC a bit "hidden" in BSD Unix because IIRC a TCP socket which
attempts to enqueue a packet in case of seeing an occupied queue halves
its window and postpones the packet, I don't remember the details, it is
a bit more sophisticated than a silent discard, however the consequences
are the same.)

>   Typically, we try to build networks that have adequate capacity
> (factors of 10 or 100 are needed for things like the "Mother's Day"
> effect, or 9/11-scale community need to spread and filter news quickly.)
>
> We encounter congestion rarely - and we fix it by building in "factors
> of safety" in every portion of an underlying network.

Hm. To my understanding, the main mechanism for finding the appropriate
window size is inducing congestion.

> Only Ph.D. theses spend an enormous amount of effort on the totally
> congested "corner cases".

So, congestion is no real problem?
> It's like a little puzzle that is easy to
> state, easy to solve, and makes the solver work hard.  It's kind of like
> a "rite of passage", so that is good, I guess.
>
> But if you are building a datacenter (AWS) or an access network or a
> transport network, you build for the worst case, and expect it to happen

What is the "worst case"? What is .the largest number of parallel flows
possible?

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30