[e2e] Answer to Dave Reed Re: Fwd: Re: Question the other way round:

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Wed Nov 27 00:10:44 PST 2013

Yes, there’s absolutely no relationship between quality of service and congestion. They are two different search terms that differ both in word count, number of letters, and letter frequency.

Indeed.

On Nov 26, 2013, at 3:56 PM, John Wroclawski <jtw at ISI.EDU> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de> wrote:
>
>>> that can be solved in ways that roll up into a coherent algorithm employed in many places at the same time. A big part of the solutions come from classifying flows according to application requirements and willingness to pay for grades of service.
>>
>> As you know, I would like to talk about the problems why approaches like
>> this are rarely discussed.
>
> This is quite a surreal comment.
>
> "classifying flows according to application requirements and willingness to pay for grades of service" [and then meeting those requirements and providing those grades] is pretty much a picture-perfect definition of Network Quality of Service, which I think many people would argue is one of the most-discussed issues of all time within the field.

> cheers, --john

Richard Bennett
Visiting Fellow, American Enterprise Institute
Center for Internet, Communications, and Technology Policy
Editor, High Tech Forum
Consultant