[e2e] Answer to Dave Reed Re: Fwd: Re: Question the other way round:

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Nov 27 03:49:41 PST 2013

Am 27.11.2013 00:56, schrieb John Wroclawski:
> On Nov 26, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de> wrote:
>
>>> that can be solved in ways that roll up into a coherent algorithm employed in many places at the same time. A big part of the solutions come from classifying flows according to application requirements and willingness to pay for grades of service.
>> As you know, I would like to talk about the problems why approaches like
>> this are rarely discussed.
> This is quite a surreal comment.
>
> "classifying flows according to application requirements and willingness to pay for grades of service" [and then meeting those requirements and providing those grades] is pretty much a picture-perfect definition of Network Quality of Service, which I think many people would argue is one of the most-discussed issues of all time within the field.

It depends on your point of view!

When you take the view of the streaming guys and QoS guys, you are
perfectly right!
When you take the view of the transport guys, i.e. the tcp guys, I've
never seen a discussion like that.

The QoS guys often talk about reservation, the transport guys hardly
ever talk about reservation.

Yes. QoS.

Since when does TCP really deal with QoS?

TCP uses best effort. And that's the reason for its success.

I agree with you that there are lots of papers concerning QoS and that
there is a huge interest in this topic in the academic world.

Outside the academic world "QoS" is hardly used as a marketing argument
any more.

Perhaps, I should have a look, how often the term QoS was even used by
publications from the "heise Verlag" here in Germany, I think it's the
best known editor for non academic papers in the IT world here in Germany.

What we're doing is QoS by underutilization. To my understanding, no
other approach to QoS ever took flight in the customer's field.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                           skype:     detlef.bosau