[e2e] Answer to Dave Reed Re: Fwd: Re: Question the other way round:

sthaug@nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Nov 27 05:36:53 PST 2013

> I agree with you that there are lots of papers concerning QoS and that
> there is a huge interest in this topic in the academic world.
>
> Outside the academic world "QoS" is hardly used as a marketing argument
> any more.

Disagree. I work for a service provider that sells services with QoS
to customers. Most often L3VPN type services, sometimes other types.

> What we're doing is QoS by underutilization. To my understanding, no
> other approach to QoS ever took flight in the customer's field.

Again, disagree. For our customers, QoS is often used to provide the
necessary priority for business critial applications (e.g. Citrix,
VoIP) while other services (e.g. Internet) receive lower priority, all
within a given total link capacity. Most of our competitors also offer
QoS for L3VPN type services (and the customers are buying) - we're not
alone.

One could certainly argue that QoS is "oversold" and that many cases
would be better solved by overprovisioning. But not always...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no