[e2e] j'accuse NFV

Matt Mathis mattmathis at google.com
Wed Apr 29 15:01:24 PDT 2015

Ahh Ha!  A litmus test for True SDN: "Software" must mean programmable by
the owner!   (AND NOT LOCKED DOWN BY THE VENDOR).

NVS is one of the required components to enable control programmability
around rich prebuilt data (or control) functions.

If the "software" in the control plane is locked down by the vendor, then
NVS (or for that matter, all of SDN) is little more than buzzword bingo.
It just doesn't matter.

I bet the nfv route reflectors mentioned by Randy all contain custom code
to implement policies that can not be implemented by any off-the-shelf
products.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat privacy and
security as matters of life and death, because for some users, they are.