[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Christian Huitema huitema at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Apr 25 19:15:37 PDT 2001

What I see in the graphs is that the max delay is sometime very long,
which raises quite a few questions. How do we explain a delay of more
than one second between two I2 connected universities? Is some gigabit
router somewhere allowing its queues to reach 100 megabytes? Or is some
kind of a bug? And, if this is a bug, is the bug in the measurement
system, or in some routing component?

Assuming that this is a queuing delay, then we cannot deduce from the
small average and std that an I2 like network is fit for VoIP. A first
problem there is that the std dev may not be mathematically significant,
specially if the delay distribution is heavy tailed; it would be more
interesting to get some distribution indication, e.g. what is the % of
packets that incur delays longer than 200ms, 500ms, etc. A second
problem is the distribution of the outliers; are there concentrated
during rare events, or are they spread throughout the day? It would be
really interesting to run a test program that mimics a VoIP session, and
study how classic jitter compensation algorithm would react to the
observed distribution.

-- Christian Huitema