[e2e] end2end-interest Digest, Vol 19, Issue 5

Thierry Klein tek at lucent.com
Thu Sep 8 14:22:02 PDT 2005

>>They can _also_ be caused by opportunistic
>>scheduling, used, for example, in EvDO, where a mobile with a good channel
>>gets all the resources, causing delays for other mobiles.
>>

>O.k. At the moment, I have no "feeling" for the effects of opportunistic
>scheduling.
>However, it should not really matter. In general, I think, the NO will
>adapt the number of time slots
>used for a packet channel to the actual load due to line switching
>traffic. This will result in a increase or decrease of bandwidth
>depending on the load.

We have investigated opportunistic scheduling and their impact on TCP
and shown that scheduling can indeed cause spurious timeouts (in
particular if the PF scheduling algorithm is considered). We have also
proposed a modified scheduling algorithm to include the first and second
moments of the inter-scheduling interval in the scheduling decision.

These results have been published at Globecom 2004 in:
T. Klein, K. Leung and H. Zheng, "Improved TCP performance in wireless
IP networks through enhanced opportunistic scheduling algorithms",
Globecom 2004, pp. 2744 - 2748.

Thierry Klein