[e2e] Is sanity in NS2?

Richard Gold rmg at it.uu.se
Fri Sep 23 07:38:17 PDT 2005

Roland Bless wrote:
> Yes, that's why we ported a real FreeBSD TCP/IP stack into the OMNeT++
> simulator. And guess what: it works very well.
> See http://www.omnetpp.org/article.php?story=20050702071848785
> for more information.

It's great to see work like this being done. Thank you for releasing
your work to the community. However, I wonder how well this release will
be supported. Is there a development team, someone responsible for
maintenance and bugfixes, updating it for recent OS/tools, a roadmap for
the future? Getting a simulator out the door is extremely important, but
it's also critical what happens to it after it is released. If there is
no community around it, then it will just be abandoned. I have heard
good things about SSFNet, for example, but the latest release was Jan
2004 and as far as I can tell there is no-one continuing this work. I
hope that I am just mis-informed. Rightly or not, this severely
discourages me from using the simulator. This is the one thing that ns2
has going for it: it's still actively maintained and probably will be in
the future too. Whether or not this is a good thing is left as an
exercise to the reader...

This is, of course, an extremely difficult issue to solve. Can we make
it part of the networking research community program to build and
maintain a good toolkit for doing research?

Cheers,

Richard