[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Nov 6 13:20:42 PST 2008

Our dear friend, Van Jacobsen, has decided that layering "where" under
"what" with regard to data is neither necessary, nor a good idea.

I agree: confusing the container with the information it happens to hold
is a layer violation.  Information is not bound to place, nor is there a
primary instance.  Information is place-free, and perhaps the idea that
there must be a "place" where it "is" is an idea whose time should pass,
and the purveyors of that idea as a holy writ (the OSI layering) retired
to play golf.