[e2e] a means to an end

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu Nov 6 13:30:57 PST 2008

Hi Dave:

Interesting you invoked Van as it was a talk with Van last week that led to
my comment.  I suspect this means you mean one thing by your comment and
I mean something else (i.e. we're in agreement but having a semantics
problem).

So let me try restating what I took from chatting with Van (with the
understanding that this is my take, not necessarily Van's).

    * Information is place free.

    * Actually accessing that information, in the worst case, requires
      a rendezvous point (if it is popular data, it doesn't -- someone
      near you will have a copy -- but information that is of only occasional
      interest requires more effort).

    * To get to the rendezvous point, you need some way to convert from the
      name/label/ID of the information to a location of a rendezvous
      point that knows where the information currently resides (or, better,
      can get the information sent to you).

Thanks!

Craig