[e2e] a means to an end

RAMAKRISHNAN, KADANGODE K (K. K.) kkrama at research.att.com
Fri Nov 7 04:38:43 PST 2008

Dirk and Craig,
In this context of information centric networks, we have been working
for a while on an architecture called "XTreeNet". We focus on
disseminating information from producers to interested information
consumers as well as enabling consumers to query and find information of
interest. A high level overview of our architecture can be found in the
WCW 2005 proceedings (see:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/%7Eyzhang/papers/xtreenet-wcw05.pdf ). While we
start with making this work in an overlay, our goal is to make it
efficient for forwarding in the underlay. At a high level, we probably
have similar goals as Van's content centric networks.

If you want to make information access work at a fine enough
granularity, scale becomes an issue - to this end, we have been looking
at how to make multicast scale up, somewhat in the context of what Dirk
speaks of.
When you focus on the "unit" of information, disseminating it to
consumers of information on a subscription tree and finding it by
forwarding the query along a sink tree associated with the unit of
information, then the notion of location can be thought of as being
orthogonal (not necessarily irrelevant).

Thanks,

---
K. K. Ramakrishnan                  Email: kkrama at research.att.com
AT&T Labs-Research, Rm. A161        Tel: (973)360-8764
180 Park Ave, Florham Park, NJ 07932    Fax: (973) 360-8871