[e2e] a means to an end

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Sun Nov 9 15:20:56 PST 2008

On Nov 9, 2008, at 11:05 AM, David P. Reed wrote:
> I'm completely confused by the suggestions from Fred and Noel that
> 802.11 802.1, MPLS are somehow competing with the current IP routing
> system.  None of those are end-to-end solutions, ...

Depends on your viewpoint. There are those that think of them as end
to end solutions in some stated domain. In Beijing during the last
week of October I visited a school that literally was proposing MPLS-
on-Ethernet as an end-to-end solution.

The reason I mentioned them is this. You noted that the Internet was
designed as a network of networks, and IP was the ring to bind them.
True enough. We have two variations on that in the present Internet.
One is that we literally have separate networks connected through a
collection of backbone networks, often by means of network address
translators or other gateways. The other is that the IP protocol
usually runs atop some lower layer (what I call "intranet", what
others inexplicably call "layer 2") networks, including various
extended LAN, circuit switch, and virtual circuit networks.

To my way of thinking, whether you mean this in an infrastructure
sense, and administrative sense, or a routing protocol sense, the
Internet is very much a network of networks.