[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 13 02:34:51 PST 2009

given there's 4.3billion wireless cellular devices in the world
and growing, i can't believe people are still baning on about
switched networks taking over from shared media - the fact is that
the edge AND the center are statistically multiplexed resources
and the wished for simplicity of isolation and protection you get from
some global switched system is flying in the face of all the trends.
oh, sure, you find strict resource allocation in enterprise nets
and "carrier grade" ethernet installations are fine and dandy in their
niche environments, but its a niche.

in fact, as we get more and more mimo and network coding,
and other new ideas for content centric networking,
which cross layer storage/cache and packet switching
the system looks less and less like some sort of
graph in the interconnect layer at all -

in fact it looks less end2end at any layer at all

can we start an entire new name&list for this new model
whatever it is, coz this discussion isn't part of any future
i recoznize, and is hauling over coals that have
long gone cold.

j.