[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Nov 13 13:50:36 PST 2009

    > From: Richard Bennett <richard at bennett.com>

    > It's rather interesting that while Bob Braden insists that the Internet
    > is an "application neutral network" David Clark famously derides such
    > views as "happy little bunny rabbit dreams" and works to make it better
    > able to support diverse applications.

Without taking the time to delve into exactly the cimcumstance of each
statement (since it's not that important), I suspect that Bob was talking of
'the network as first designed and deployed, where new stuff was easy to roll
out', and Dave was talking of 'the network we actually have today, with
routers filtering on protocol/port for security, commercial reasons, etc,
etc'.

	Noel