[e2e] Switched Ethernet is Not an End-to-End System; was Protocols breaking the end-to-end argument

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Fri Nov 13 14:09:44 PST 2009

I think that would be an incorrect interpretation, Noel. Clark says the
Internet is not neutral *and never has been* because the edge-managed,
best-efforts paradigm supports content-oriented applications better than
communications-oriented, real-time applications; or that's my
understanding, at least.

The question that I find interesting is whether the Internet is on its
way toward becoming a legacy network for content distribution in a
triple-play world where more compelling communications-oriented
applications will share the same infrastructure but use fundamentally
different protocols, as Detlef indicated in his message about VLANs and
such. It appears to me that the legacy direction seems most likely at
the moment. This doesn't have to be the case, however, and it would be
more interesting to me for the Internet protocols to grow the capability
to support VoIP, gaming, and real-time video streaming capabilities that
would eliminate the need for network fragmentation via VLANs or some
similar means.

The doctrinaire insistence that the Internet must always work the way it
has in the past is a recipe for obsolescence, in other words.

RB

--
Richard Bennett
Research Fellow