[e2e] Technology marches forward at the expense of the net?

Wenyu Jiang wenyu at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 13 13:43:02 PST 2001

Hi, Vishal
  My guess from their front page summary is that, there are
mission-critical data that needs to be transferred reliably asap.  I
haven't had the time to look through it, but it may be based on some
FEC-like channel coding scheme.
  Of course, if that's the assumption, then one can say: fairness is not
as important if different types of sessions have different priority.
And, a natural question everyone would ask is: what if everybody is using
MetaContent?  Probably very bad...  "Mission-critical" sounds like the
word of military, so the military will probably like it and block anyone
else from using it :), just kidding.
  However, redundancy schemes are still quite sensible in a wireless or
noisy channel environment, where most of the time you are fighting against
static or channel fading instead of other connections.

  My 2 cents.

Wenyu