[e2e] Bidirectionnal traffic over assymetric link

Fatma Louati Fatma.Louati at sophia.inria.fr
Tue Jul 23 05:33:50 PDT 2002

  Hi,

I have made some simulations of bidirectionnal TCP traffic passing
through an assymmetric link, evolving several simultaneous connections
in both direction. It seems that the combination of using AckFiltering
and Ack Reconstruction, AckFirst scheduling and an Active Queue
Management like RED gives the best results in term of global throughput.

In fact the asymmetry that forward connections encounter necessitate the
use of AF/AR, however the presence of traffic in the other direction
implies the use of an AckFirst scheduling to protect ACKs against Data
packets. But limited buffer size will result in a ACK packets
monopolization. That's why I thought about using a AQM mechanisms in the
router. This solution gives also an acceptable fairness among the
different flows.

Before I go further in this direction I would like to know what do you
think about it.
Could you please tell me if you are aware of recent work on this domain.

Thanx

Fatma Louati -
PhD Student - INRIA Sophia Antipolis
http://www.inria.fr/planete/flouati <http://www.inria.fr/planete/dabbous>
ps: Simulations topology is accessible in
http://www-sop.inria.fr/planete/louati/topo2Way.eps