[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

Dave Crocker dcrocker at brandenburg.com
Wed Apr 2 22:49:51 PST 2003

Cannara,

C> Cynical Bob?

Please review the definition of cynicism.  You will discover that it has
nothing to do with Bob's note about your condemning tone and constantly
plaintive postings.

You might also want to consider that he is list moderator and that
postings from his suggesting changes in one's posting style are worth
taking seriously.

As to the purported technical content of your postings:

Let's take it as a given that TCP should have been done differently.

We can ignore that it was intentionally designed on the assumption that
interesting characteristics of specific links along a path would be
taken care of by... the link protocol! (I know it is silly to have local
problems handled by local mechanisms, but that is nonetheless what was
in the heads of those utterly silly engineers, back then.)

So let's take all that as a given.

We all will be delighted to see your alternative specification -- and I
did not say "proposal" because it is the details that matter.  We will
even be impressed to see documentation of its superior behaviors, based
on objective tests, rather than your sole, expert opinion.

Until then, perhaps you could find a different note?  The one you have
been plucking has become a water drop torture.

d/

ps. I really enjoyed your 'those who ignore history' implication.
Perhaps you missed the minor fact that Bob is one of those people who
invented that bit of history? And although the years are certain to have
taken their toll on him, there is no indication that he has become
memory-impaired. By contrast, we do seem to be encountering other folk
who *are* memory-impaired by virtue of no one bothering to stuff
important memories into them, through such mundane processes as careful
reading and careful consideration. So they end up knowing far too much
detail and nowhere near enough concept. They spend their time
criticizing history with complete confidence, but ignorant of key ideas
and concerns that were the underpinnings to the decisions made way back
then.

--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>