[e2e] latest spate of cruft postings to e2e

Ramaprabhu Janakiraman rama at arl.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 6 19:50:43 PST 2003

Instead of either/or, why not mix-n-match?

One solution:

1) There will be a set of subscribers. Their email will be forwarded
unfiltered.  All non-subscriber email will be filtered.

2) First, there will be an automatic level-1 filter (L1) common to the list.
L1 will classify each non-subscriber message into "Yes" (Definitely SPAM), "No"
and "Maybe" cases.  The threshold between "Yes" and "Maybe" is set very
conservatively (perhaps even to the point of eliminating the "Yes" case)
to get a negligible false positive rate.

3) A "No" message is forwarded, and a "Yes" dropped, silently.
A "Maybe" from L1 will be forwarded to the "moderator" for approval.

4) In the "default deny" policy, non-action by the moderator will result in the
email being dropped after a tunable timeout(say 4-6 hours).  In the "default
allow" policy, it will be forwarded after timeout. The policy is tunable and
depends both on the fraction of email that is non-subscriber and the
fraction of non-subscriber email that is spam. (Perhaps the policy could be on
a per-message basis depending on the score it got from L1) The approval mechanism
can be implemented by tagging the message, so that the moderator can
approve/deny by just replying to the tagged message.

5) In the simplest case, the moderator is the maintainer (Sorry, Joe).  Other
options are a set of periodically chosen small (say 10-20) subset of
subscribers. The period and type of choosing (volunteer, random or weighted
random based on past activity) are tunable.  For fault-tolerance (say when a
moderator is away from email for more than the timeout), each such message may be
forwarded to (and voted on by) a subset (say 3-5) of moderators.

6) Any non-subscriber email approved by a moderator will be tagged with the
name of the approving moderator(s) before being forwarded to the list  so that
if a moderator is lazy and lets spam through, the whole list will know [and will
get a crack at retribution in a later networking conference ;-)]

7) Ofcourse, to simplify their task, moderators can use their own client-side
filters.

8) If there is a risk of subscribed spammers, every message goes through L1,
with a large weight given to the fact that the sender is a subscriber.

Such a scheme should be quite simple to implement, and IMHO seems to be an
effective compromise. (Or atleast it might have the non-trivial benefit of
laying the debate to rest...)

I am ignoring denial-of-service attacks (inadvertent or otherwise) by
subscribers :-)

-ram