[e2e] Enough!

grenville armitage garmitage at swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 15 21:46:51 PST 2004

Ross Finlayson wrote:
	[..]
> Of the dozens of mailing lists to which I'm subscribed, this is the *only*
> list that allows non-subscribers to post with impunity.  And it's the only
> list on which I receive any significant spam.

Same here. But you miss the point. This list's filter policy is predicated on a
simple assumption - there are people whose wisdom is so time critical to receive
that we cannot impose upon them the irritation of pre-subscribing to post, lest
we miss their critical contribution to our debates. And so, like keeping the
squelch turned off on an open radio channel just in case a faint-yet-important
signal should arrive out of the blue, we must put up with the torrent of static
that is spam.

I miss the days when unsubscribe messages were the noise floor.

gja