[e2e] Extended CFP for PLFDnet 2005

Cheng Jin chengjin at cs.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 27 21:18:24 PDT 2004

          		    +---------------------------+
                            |                           |
		            | Extended deadline : Nov 3 |
                            |                           |
		            +---------------------------+

				Call For Papers
				===============

Third International Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long-Distance Networks
				PFLDnet2005
		http://www.ens-lyon.fr/LIP/RESO/pfldnet2005
			pfldnet2005 at ens-lyon.fr

  Fast long-distance networks (i.e., networks operating at 622 Mbit/s,
2.5 Gbit/s, or 10 Gbit/s and spanning several countries or states) are
now becoming commonplace. More and more researchers now routinely
transfer between 10 GB and multi-TB datasets over gigabit networks.
Application domains for such massive transfers include data-intensive
Grids (e.g., in Particle Physics, Earth Observation, Bio informatics,
and Radio Astronomy), database mirroring for Web sites (e.g.,
in e-commerce), and push-based Web cache updates.

  Although the network infrastructure is now in place, or will soon be,
the transport and application protocols available to date perform rather
poorly over such networks. Current versions of TCP, for instance, recover
very slowly from packet loss when the RTT and the link capacity are large,
thus requiring a large congestion window for high throughput. A number of
research teams have begun investigating these protocol issues.

  The First International Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long-Distance
Networks (http://datatag.web.cern.ch/datatag/pfldnet2003/) and the Second
International Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long-Distance Networks
(http://www-didc.lbl.gov/PFLDnet2004/) were very successful in bringing
together many researchers from the U.S., Asia and Europe who are working
on these problems. This workshop will continue this tradition, and
provide a perfect setting for researchers in this area to exchange ideas
and experience.

  This single-track workshop will provide researchers and technologists
with a focused, highly interactive opportunity to present, discuss and
exchange experience on leading research, development and future
directions in high performance transport and application protocols
(TCP, UDP, HTTP, FTP, etc.) over fast long-distance networks.

  This year, a particular emphasis will be on End Systems Issues
(hardware and software). Each day will start with a plenary talk and end
with a panel. In between, formal presentations of papers will be followed
by extensive and informal Q&A sessions. Authors are invited to submit
unpublished extended abstract for consideration.

  In order to facilitate discussions, attendance will be limited to 60
participants. Please register early to ensure your participation.
Depending on the number of people who register, we may need to restrict
the number of people from a given organization to allow for a broader
representation of the research community. Registration will open on
October 1, 2004.

 Call For Papers
 ---------------

    Participants wishing to present a paper should upload a FOUR-page
extended abstract to http://www.ens-lyon.fr/LIP/RESO/Soumission by
Nov 3, 2004.

  Authors whose abstracts are selected for presentation will have the
option to submit a full paper, to be published on the PFLDnet 2005 web
site and in the PFLDnet 2005 proceedings. We may try to collect the
best papers for a special edition of a journal, if the authors are
interested.

  Scope
  -----

   The PFLDnet2005 workshop will focus on research issues and challenges
as well as lessons learned from experience. Topics of interest include
and are not limited to:

    . Protocol issues in fast long-distance networks

    . TCP enhancements and their comparison

    . Novel data transport protocols designed for new application
      services

    . RDMA over WANs

    . Effects of shaping on TCP and UDP traffic

    . Effects of striping and multi-streaming

    . Bulk-data transfer applications both TCP and non-TCP based

    . Data replication and multicasting strategies and protocols

    . Simulation-based results

    . Experiments on real networks and actual measurements

    . Experience with different types of hardware (PCs, routers,
      switches, Gigabit Ethernet cards, etc.)

  Important Dates
  ---------------

    Extended Abstract Submission Deadline: Nov 3
    Reviews due: Nov 19
    Acceptance Notification: Dec 5
    Final paper submission: Jan 21
    Workshop: February 3 and 4

  Committees
  ----------

    Co-Chairs:
    Pascale Vicat-Blanc Primet, INRIA ENS Lyon - FR
    Richard Hughes-Jones, Univ Manchester - UK
    Cheng Jin, Caltech - USA

    Steering Committee:
    Brian L Tierney, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab - USA
    Linda Winkler, Argonne National Lab, USA
    R. Les Cottrell , Stanford Linear Accelerator Center - USA

    Technical Program Committee:
    Bill Allcock (ANL - USA)
    Eitan Altman (INRIA France)
    Richard Carlson (Internet 2 - USA)
    Andrew Chien (UCSD - USA)
    Peter Clarke (UCL - UK)
    Les Cottrell (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (USA)
    Cees De Laat (UvA - NL)
    Michel Diaz (LAAS -CNRS - FR)
    Sally Floyd (ICIR - USA)
    Tomohiro Kudoh (AIST JP)
    Douglas Leith (Hamilton Institute- IR)
    Steven Low (California Institute of Technology, USA)
    Jason Leigh (UIC - USA)
    Olivier Martin (CERN- CH)
    Medy Sanadidi (UCLA - USA)
    Robin Tasker (CCLRC - UK)