[e2e] UDP Performance problem

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Feb 10 02:57:32 PST 2005

> I am writing a a networking library to facilitate faster data transfers using
> UDP. The required level of performance is 120Mbps (at the minimum) on Gigabit
> Ethernet.

What is the real point of "faster data transfers using UDP"? Many people
have tried this through the years - they usually end up reimplementing
parts of TCP.

> But at the moment what I am getting is around 32Mbps. I am using a 8kB packet
> size and using Redhat 2.4.21 kernel (Enterperise Linux). I am having 4X
> 2.8GHz Intel Xeon CPUs with 4GB memory. Two identical machines are
> interconnected using an SMC switch (Gigabit Ethernet)
> Does anybody has an idea about this dissapoiniting performance ?

It was possible to saturate a 100 Mbps Ethernet with Pentium-166 class
equipment and TCP traffic several years ago. Today there are many systems
that can saturate Gigabit Ethernet using TCP. Why do you want to reinvent
the wheel?

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no