[e2e] Routers accessing TCP header

Rajesh Krishnan krash at bbn.com
Wed Feb 23 13:46:17 PST 2005

Ibrahim,

When the oracle notifies the TCP sender of a segment lost due to corruption,
we have the sender retransmit the segment immediately without adjusting the
congestion window.  (Drops due to congestion are discovered and handled using
the normal TCP mechanisms.)  In our study, the sender did not have explicit
information about other flows.

In addition to the Oracle case, we tried a couple of cumulative notification
strategies that require (intermediate routers attached to error-prone links
to update) a header field that accumulates a corruption survivability metric
along the path.  Upon a loss event, based on the metric the sender can either

  - probabilistically decide the loss is due to corruption and retransmit
    without reducing the congestion window

  - deterministically compute a multiplicative decrease factor that depends
    on the corruption survivability metric rahter than the tradition value
    TCP uses (one half)

Best Regards,
Rajesh