[e2e] FW: Performance evaluation of high speed TCPs

Ian McDonald imcdnzl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:51:02 PST 2006

>  Seriously, where's the value in comparing buggy implementations - isn't
> that just a waste of all our time ?  If we are genuine about wanting to
> understand tcp performance then I think we just have to take the hit from
> issues such as this that are outside all of our control.

A real part of the problem here is that the Linux doesn't have a full
TCP testing suite and doesn't have build checking to check for
regressions in TCP variants. As I understand the only thing tested in
nightly builds is throughput for the default TCP.

Stephen Hemminger has done some work on TCP Probes but this is where I
think real progress could be made in improving Linux TCP. I may get
around to doing this myself at some point in my research but would
welcome other people doing it also!

Ian
--
Ian McDonald