[e2e] new network architecture idea -

Jing Shen jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Tue May 9 09:54:22 PDT 2006

What do you mean with "IP on bittorent" ? BT is just
an application level protocol over IP while protocol
udner is TCP.

On the other hand, if any e2e communication is with
P2P  How can I know whether the news is reliable or
just a manmade one?

To technical question,  I read several paper on p2p
traffic on WAN. But, it seems paper from france
differs a little from korean. Some one said upstream
p2p bw is smaller than downstream, while other says
the oppsite. Is there demand on network topology? is
there requirement on routing protocol? Is there way to
enable interception asked by law?

Jing

> -- Jon Crowcroft <Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Its that time of year for a new network architecture
> - rather than build an overlay on IP
> I reckon the way to build a DOS proof, multipath,
> resilient network that can function in
> low or high bandwidth, fixed or mobile, lossy or
> reliable, connected or disrupted, topologies
> is to built the packet protocol over an overlay - so
> my bif is to rebuild
> IP on Swarms (initial prototype is IPv6 on
> bittorrent)
>
> packet swarming systems are nice because
> i) you go download your packet, so noone can dos you
> ii) topological attacks are hard when you dont know
> where I am getting the different pieces of the
> packet from.
> iii) incentive alignment thru the token system
> enforces approximate symmetry
> iv) multipath is for free and tunable
> v) you still have anonimity if you really want it
> vi) content addressable (pub/sub/ event/notify) is a
> first class network function
> vii) multicast is for free
>
> of course IP on bittorrent begs the question of what
> the bittorrent is on....so
> that's what the NSF proposal would be about (of
> course i'm not eligable for
> nsf money:-)
>
> so this is a free donation to the US NSF proposal
> writers guild:)
>

> cheers
> jon
>
> remember, you have 2 days left to register for
> REALMAN in Florence:-
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/realman/
>
> p.s. if the GENI is out of the lamp, who is making
> the 3 wishes...?
>

> --
> "Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
>  Engineering Architecture for the Internet
>  fergdawg at netzero.net or fergdawg at sbcglobal.net
>  ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

Jing Shen

Data Communication Center