[e2e] Any Data on Fast Retransmit vs RTO Expiry Numbers?

Mellia Marco mellia at tlc.polito.it
Tue Dec 18 13:37:12 PST 2007

Your intuition is quite right... RTO kicks in much more often than FR...

There are a couple of papers/ideas/rfcs that try to address this problem.
You may have a look at this paper... in which we explicitely study the
problem you mention, and compare our proposal to others'.

M. Mellia, M. Meo, C. Casetti
TCP Smart Framing: a Segmentation Algorithm to Reduce TCP latency
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 316-329, ISSN:
1063-6692, April 2005

http://www.tlc-networks.polito.it/mellia/papers/TNG-TCP-SF.ps

In addition, we are continously monitoring TCP retransmission using tstat.
Some measurements are available on-line from tstat web site
Http://www.tstat.polito.it

E.G.
http://tstat.tlc.polito.it/cgi-bin/tstat_rrd.cgi?template=normidx&var=tcp_anomalies&dir=rrd_data/FW/LIVE&logscale=&bigpic=true&advopt=true&yauto=false&ymax=10&direction=both&advcmd=&describe=&hifreq=false&ymin=-10

Hope you find this useful.

Ciao,
Marco