[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Jan 4 09:30:24 PST 2008

Lloyd Wood wrote:
> At Friday 04/01/2008 07:53 -0800, Joe Touch wrote:
>>> I'm
>>> not aware of many Linux developers listening to this list. People
>>> there DO listen to good points so it is worth discussing there.
>> FWIW, if they DO listen to good points, why isn't the mere fact that
>> these protocols are Experimental not a sufficient point?
>
> because linux development, like all development, is itself experimental in nature.

We're not talking about a variant that existed in someone's lab under
controlled conditions. We're talking about public distributions.

> The point about the difference between development and distribution
> has been made previously by Reed.

I'm talking about distros deploying experimental protocols in the wild.

> (The problem of distinguishing between
> development and distribution only really occurs once you have a large
> userbase of non-developers. And doesn't the name Request For Comments
> itself sound experimental?)

Not when the label says "experiment" or "standards track" ;-)

>> If they're
>> going to play with fire, they ought to seek out their own fire training
>> IMO, not expect others to keep bailing them out when the get burned.
>
> Do you have examples of 'bailing out' to share?

IMO, fixing getting CUBIC out of default distros is one.

Joe