[e2e] Question the other way round:

Ted Faber faber at isi.edu
Wed Nov 20 15:04:30 PST 2013

On 11/20/2013 14:50, Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0) wrote:
>> It's the same old thing.  Pre-book your resources and underuse them or
>> overbook and deal with contention.
>
> The Airlines overbook all the time.  Hopefully I am not the one dealing
> with the contention.  Usually someone else is willing to get paid off -
> their time value is apparently less then mine.  So here is an economics
> example.

Exactly so.  It can be illuminating to apply networking solutions to
those kinds of resources.  If the airlines used leaky buckets to decide
which flyers to bump, bursty flyers would be discriminated against.

Thinking about airlines is nice in that it does give the flavor of some
network congestion issues.  For example, an airline might choose to
offer people with more connections more money to drop out of the system
early in the hopes of reducing overall contention.  I'm sure you can
think of more.

The Internet is more interesting in that there are many more legs and
passengers and much less information at a given airport about where the
passengers are going.  And that's just drop policy, which is a corner of
the congestion control problem.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: